Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Corn Tortillas

I am a big fan of flour tortillas.  In fact that is what I will choose MOST of the time.  However, when it comes to 'taco truck' type tacos, I gotta go with a corn tortilla. 

Now, if you take a corn tortilla out of the package and throw some taco 'things' in it, the tortilla will fall apart.  It needs some preparation first.  You could fry it, which is sometimes good, but they can get kind of hard and chewy, and it's fried...  I prefer mine soft.  You could microwave it, but, really that is just not acceptable.  Lucky for me, my mom knows the best way to prepare a corn tortilla.  (Well, it is MY favorite way...) 

Heat a griddle, I use my big pancake griddle and heat it to about 300 or 350 degrees. 

Butter ONE side of each tortilla. Put the tortillas buttered side down on the griddle. 



 Now let them sit for about 30 seconds, until they start to form these bubbles on them.  Then turn them over. 



Now that the buttered side is up, sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top.  (The powdery kind, not fresh grated)  Let 'em sit for about 20-30 more seconds and then use a spatula to fold them in half and remove to a plate.  



Immediately stuff those babies with some meat.  Carne asada, taco meat, carnitas (pictured here), whatever you like in your taco.  Keep them warm until ready to eat.  If your meat is juicy you want to eat these right away, no one likes a soggy taco shell.  



Add your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment