Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Brownie Pudding

One of my all time favorite desserts is brownie pudding.  One of my college roomies taught me this one, and I'm so glad she did! 

It's super easy.  Mix your flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add milk, oil, and vanilla.  Mix that thoroughly.  Scrape into a greased 8x8 pan.  It will look like this.



In a small mixing bowl (or pyrex measuring cup) combine some brown sugar and more cocoa.  Sprinkle that over top of the' brownie' batter, like so...


Then pour some hot water over the top of that...


The water will cover everything, and mix in with the brown sugar and cocoa combo. 


Then stick it in the oven for 35-45 minutes.  Until the 'floating' brownie on top is set.  If you jiggle the pan the brownie won't move around in the middle.  Then it's done. 

Scoop some vanilla ice cream into a bowl. 
(We used homemade ice cream tonight, and it was devine.)

Then spoon some brownie over top of the ice cream.  You will find a secret hot fudge under all that brownie goodness, make sure you get some extra of that on your ice cream.  Yummy! 




Not that it will be difficult, but you want to eat this before the ice cream melts from the yummy hot pudding/ sauce.  Mmmmm. 
(I just made a yummy sound.) 


Brownie Pudding

1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs cocoa (baking cocoa, the powdery kind)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix these ingredients together.  Then add:
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs oil
1 tsp vanilla
Stir until well combined.  Pour into a greased 8x8 pan. 

In a separate bowl stir together:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
Sprinkle over top of brownie batter. 
Pour 1 3/4 cups hot water over top of brown sugar and cocoa mixture.  Pour slowly so your water doesn't dive into the brownie batter.  You want the water on top.  The batter and water will magically switch places during baking! 
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  Serve hot, over vanilla ice cream. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, Leia! I'm going to have to make this and SOON!! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap this looks good! Does it taste kinda like lava cake?! Cause that is my favorite! I'm so trying this! I'm so excited to see you started a food blog! You Carter women can cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hannah and Nicole! I never had 'Lava Cake,' (at least nothing by that specific name) but I would bet this is very similar. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete