Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Red R2D2 Cake

This cake was very intimidating...

My son wanted this for his 7th birthday.

I tried to persuade him to choose something easier, but was unsuccessful. 

I used 3 6-inch round cakes for the R2D2 body.

Here they are with the crumb coat of cream cheese frosting already on. 

I covered them with fondant.
However, I had too much fondant so I smoothed out the front and back and brought the excess fondant to the side and cut it off then sealed the seams.



I knew the arms would cover up the seams on the sides, so I wasn't worried about them being perfect.

I used a metal bowl about the same size as my 6-inch cakes to make the dome part for the head. 

I used black and blue food coloring to make the grey color. 

Here are the rice krispy legs. 
We made a base the same shape as the legs and body to help support the cake. 
I just forgot to take a picture of it. 
(Imagine a circle cut out of wood with two small bumps on two sides where the legs attach.)

Next I colored some fondant red and cut out shapes to sort of match an R2D2 coloring page. 

The black is just buttercream piped on.


I cut the arms out of rice krispies as well. 
Gave them a crumb coat with cream cheese frosting as well, then covered them with fondant.
Same this with the legs and base. 

Then I put the body on top of the base.
We put two ramekins under the base in case the cake settled over night. 
Rice krispies can only take so much, right?
The cake did settle, and by morning the ramekins were pinned.  So we just left them there. 
I am happy with how it turned out. 
Most importantly, my son was happy, too.    :)

6 comments:

  1. Looks great, Mom!! Found your blog through the Our Best Bites link up on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks looking and leaving a comment! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, great job! I bet your son was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! He was thrilled. It's nice that kids don't notice the small imperfections in life! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, how Long in advance did you prepare this cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redspy,
      I bake my cakes and freeze them days in advance. I frosted and decorated the whole cake the day prior to the party. I don't like to be rushed and feel like I might not finish on time. Are you making one like this? :)

      Delete