Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dominican Republic Rice and Beans

My very first food post was for Chili Relleno Meatballs.
With those meatballs, pictured here, I served this rice.

Finally, here is the recipe.


My sister used to have a neighbor who was from the Dominican Republic. 
She taught my sister to make this dish, who then taught me. 

For some perspective, imagine a woman from another country teaching YOU to make something with no measurments, just adding a "little of this, and a dash of that." 

We have done our best to give you mesurements, but you may need to alter the amounts to fit your tastes and needs. 

You will need:
1 onion
1-2 stalks of celery
1-2 cloves, or 1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 - 1 whole bunch of cilantro
1 tsp oregano
3 tsp chicken bouilon
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 Tbs oil
2-3 cups rice (depends on how much you want)
2-3 cups water (according to how much rice you used)


Mince your onion and saute it in the oil over medium heat.


 Chop the celery.  I like my celery in very small pieces.
Add it to the pan with the onions.

Give the cilantro a rough chop, discarding the ends. 
Add it to the onions. 
Also add the garlic, and cook for a few minutes, til the onion starts to get soft and translucent.

Then add the stewed tomatoes and the beans (undrained), the vinegar, chicken bouilon, adobo, and oregano.



At this point I pour my rice into a rice cooker and then add the onion and tomato mixture from my pan.  I cover with the water and set the rice cooker to cook.  Easy.

If you are not using a rice cooker:
In a heavy bottom pot add your onion and tomato mixutre from above, and the water.  Bring your liquid almost to a boil then add the rice and stir.  Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. 
Check on the rice and give it a stir every 5 minutes or so.  If the rice is sticking to the bottom of the pot you can add oil 1 Tbs at a time and stir again.  Cook rice for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Taste, you can add more water if you like your rice moister. 

 Like I said this recipe is not an exact science, but it's authentic and it tastes great!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment