Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Banana Cream Pie



On my gosh, this pie was divine. 

I used to think a good banana cream pie was made with a box of pudding mix and heavy whipped cream instead of cool whip. 
I've learned my lesson...



This pie is made from scratch, including the cream part. 

The cream is made like a custard with tempered egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk. 
(And a few other ingredients.)

My husband and I have differing opinions on which type of crust a banana cream pie should be made with. 
He likes pie crust, I like graham cracker crust.
Both of us are products of our childhood, in that respect. 

For this crust I used Nilla Wafers. 
And we both loved it!

I found this recipe here. 
Altered it slightly to fit american ingredients. 

Crust
I started by curshing up enough Nilla Wafers to make about 2 cups of crumbs. 
(Very scientific, I know)
Add to that 1/4 cup melted butter and mix with a fork, til fully combined.
Press into bottom of pan. 

For the cream
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup corn starch
4 egg yolks
3 bananas

(You will need 2 more bananas and more heavy whipping cream for the top, later.)

Heat the milk, heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  Bring to a boil.

While that is heating, whisk the egg yolks and corn starch til smooth. 

Gradually spoon some of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture.  Whisk them together, slowing adding a little more.  Once the egg yolks are hot, after you have added roughly 1/2- 1 cup of the milk and cream mixture, whisk the egg yolks into the pot with the remaing cream mixture.  Stir constantly.

Cook until very thick.  Keep stirring!

Once cooked, pour through a sieve to keep any lumps out of the pie. 

Chop 3 bananas and stir into the 'custard.'  Pour over the crust and top with some plastic wrap.  Place the wrap directly on the custard, so no film forms.

Let the pie set in the fridge for at least 3 hours. 

Top with 2 sliced bananas. Sweeten and whip some heavy whipping cream, then pipe around the edges.  Any star tip will work to make the swirl. 
 Grate chocolate on top. 



You should definitely make this, and soon. 

UPDATE:  I made this for Christmas with an oreo crust, and it was fantastic!!  :)



1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait to try this. It looks scrumptious.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete